General phalaris info
Phalaris is a genus of grasses that are known in the ethnobotanical world for being a potential alternative source for psychoactive tryptamines.
The alkaloid content in the Phalaris genus varies greatly depending on species and strain, as well as conditions of growing. Not all Phalaris will be good for extracting psychoactive tryptamines, some may have very little alkaloids, some may have more of toxic alkaloids such as gramine, or of stimulant-like alkaloids such as hordenine, or they may have wanted tryptamines such as DMT and 5-MeO-DMT. Do not bioassay an extract from Phalaris without making sure you are getting the alkaloids you want. For more info check file linked below.
The alkaloids found so far in Phalaris according to festi and samorini 1994:
- N-methyltryptamine (MMT)
- 5-methoxy-N-methyltryptamine (5-MeO-MMT)
- N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT)
- 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (5-MeO-DMT)
- 5-hydroxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (Bufotenine, 5-HO-DMT)
- 2-methyl-l,2,3,4-tetrahydro-B-carboline (MTHC), not found in P. aquatica
- 2-methyl-6-methoxy-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-B-carboline (MMTHC)
- 2,9-dimethyl-6-methoxy-l ,2,3,4-tetrahydro-B-carboline (DMTHC)
Different extraction teks used for other DMT containing plant can work theoretically for Phalaris too, but there are 3 main issues with extracting from phalaris:
1- Finding a plant that yields decently 2- Finding a plant with good alkaloid profile 3- Dealing with plant impurities/chlorophyll/fats
For these reasons, one will more likely have good results if one extracts from a grown plant of a known strain such as AQ1, Big Medicine for DMT, and Yugo Red or Turkey Red for 5-MeO-DMT, as well as using the stress/growth tricks to improve alkaloid content as described above
To get rid of gramine, there are still some analytical tests to make sure and find a definite tek for phalaris but the main indication we have at this point is the fact that gramine should not be soluble in solvents such as petroleum ether / hexane / heptane / aliphatic naphtha, and therefore pulling with those solvents and recrystallizing with them should be enough to remove gramine. Also cold/room temp limonene seems to not pull gramine. More info in analysis thread linked further below.
For separating from fats, fumarate precipitation such as FASI on limonene or FASA on xylene could potentially be a way to bypass the need for defats.
- Phalaris - Way of the future
- The Phalaris Analysis Thread
- Successful Phalaris extraction
- Where are we at the grass tek
- Phalaris/other grass types ID thread