Though heptane is a bit more toxic and more difficult to evaporate than acetone, it is able to achieve a more pure, hard, crystalline product. The only likely potential impurity--assuming proper decanting--is residual heptane.
- Mix DMT fumarate with an equal amount of sodium carbonate and moisten thoroughly.
- Allot adequate time and stirring for complete reaction.
- Add enough warm heptane to completely submerge material and allot adequate time and stirring for dissolution.
- Decant heptane into a small open glass vessel and allow to evaporate with or without airflow.
- The resulting product will be crystalline with some leftover oil that may be recycled.
- acetone works well for recycling uncrystallized product.
- Air-dry material thoroughly before storage.
- Continue to pull with warm heptane until material is apparently exhausted.
- Store in a cool, dark place in a sealed container, preferably protected from moisture and oxygen.