Acolon 5's Spice Washing Tek
|Note:||This page is a transcription of Acolon_5's Washing Tek .|
- Get a glass and put a teaspoon of baking soda (or 1/4 teaspoon of sodium carbonate) in it. Fill with about 100–150mL luke warm/room temperature water. Stir, stir, stir. It will not all dissolved, but we are making a saturated solution so that is fine. Let all soilds settle.
- Dissolve freeze preciptated spice in enough warm naphtha that is does not cloud upon cooling. Less is better, but use enough to prevent precipitation. I use 1/2 pint canning jars for this. For 1g of spice I would use 200mL of warm naphtha or bestine.
- Take a baster/syring/nasal aspirator and suck up some of the saturated baking soda water … do not get any solid baking soda in the baster.
- Add until the volume of baking soda (or sodium carbonate) solution is about 1/4 the volume of naphtha.
- Swirl around for about a minute, do not heat. You can shake.
- After swirling I usually take my nasal aspirator (I like it better than a syringe or a turkey baster) and suck up some of the naphtha layer and squirt it into the baking soda layer … not sure if it helps or not, but it is what I always do. It just mixes it up a little better and it separates pretty quickly.
- Remove naphtha layer (top layer!) save and recrystalize normally (freeze or room temp, your choice)
- Trash baking soda layer (bottom layer!), or add more naphtha and attempt to recover any lost yield (I've tried without success, just not enough spice in there).
I imagine that this would work with naphtha just pulled from the basified mimosa juice (uncrystalized) … however, I like to freeze precipitate first. It seems to get a much cleaner product.
With the method I have outline above I have taken yellow oily freeze precipitated spice that badly burns the tongue and turned it into clear spice that no longer burns (just a little bitter). My best batches of spice were made using this technique.
The taste and vaporization also seems to be improved.
Total yield loss after washing AND recrystalization from a gram is about 80mgs. I've read some threads about how yellow spice is better/smoother than clear spice. I am not in that group of people. I think that crystal clear/white spice gives the best experience.
Also after final recrystalization I will put my mason jar containg my spice (no solvent, just spice) into a hot water bath and melt it down. I then put it into the freezer for about 10 minutes. The spice that comes out is denser, easier to vaporize, and for some reason more potent. I highly suggest trying the spice meltdown method … you will be suprised at the results!
- Obtain naptha/spice solution from extraction.
- Freeze until spice precipitates.
- Pull or pour out all naptha from the precipitate and set to dry.
- After the spice is dry, add heptane (heptane can be purchased from most hardware/craft stores in the brand BESTINE).
- Warm the heptane/spice solution slowly in almost boiling water and agitate (the solution should be transparent).
- After the spice has precipitated, pull or pour the heptane from the solution and set to dry.
- The spice is now ready for use. Spice from the A/B naptha extraction will result in clean pearly white crystals.
- Washing your Spice